Monday, March 4, 2013

How to dye Easter Eggs using Kool Aid

I am the kind of person who is never satisfied with the status quo in the kitchen. To me, the kitchen is a laboratory and I am the mad scientist who dwells there. I am always experimenting with various recipes and ingredients. When I am feeling particularly inspired, I like to use food items in non traditional ways, such as in crafting. I grew up in a home where salt dough and macaroni mosaics were the norm. Even empty food packaging takes on a new life in my hands.

When I am not in the kitchen creating things with-or from-food, I am creating a wide variety of hand crafted items. I enjoy sewing, jewelry making, painting, drawing, paper crafts. To be honest, I suffer endlessly from Crafter's ADD. Once I master one craft, I am off to tackle another. One craft trend that has been rising in popularity is the use of Kool Aid to dye fabric and yarns. After viewing some beautifully colored yarns, I decided to try dyeing Easter eggs using Kool Aid. The end results were quite colorful and better than I had anticipated.
Supplies
• assorted flavor packets of unsweetened Kool Aid drink mix
• 1 cup cold water per flavor being used
• container for mixing colors, 1 per color
• spoons to mix colors and remove eggs from solution
Directions
Mix 1 cup cold water with 1 packed of unsweetened Kool Aid. Mix 1 flavor per cup. Gently add 1 egg per solution and allow to soak for 5-10 minutes. Use spoon and remove from solution and allow to dry.
Color saturation varies by flavor, with some colors better suited for this experiment than others. Here are my color findings:
• Cherry yields a nice, bright red. Time in solution does not seem to impact overall color.
• Watermelon Cherry gives the eggs a nice pinkish hue. Eggs deepen slightly when left in the mixture longer.
• Orange is a bright vibrant shade of orange. The longer you leave the egg in, the darker the orange color gets, up to 10 minutes.
• Lemonade turns a very pale yellow than can barely be seen. Time in solution does not seem to impact overall color.
• Grape gives the eggs a medium shade of grey. Time in solution does not seem to impact overall color.
• Berry Blue gives the eggs a nice robin's egg blue shade. Time in solution does not seem to impact overall color.
• Lemonade and Berry Blue when mixed in equal amounts yield a pretty shade of teal. The longer the eggs soak, the deeper the color.
• Cherry and Lemonade when mixed together yield a peach hue. The longer the eggs soak, the deeper the color.
• Cherry and Grape when mixed together yield a reddish brown hue. Time in solution does not seem to impact overall color.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That actually sounds quite easy compared to other ways. My son is still to young to use real eggs, but I will keep it in mind for the future.