Tuesday, May 7, 2013

French onion soup recipe

Cup of French onion soup. At "Ruby Slippe...
 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I was never a fan of French onion soup. To be honest, I have never been a fan of onions period. I seriously have nightmares about being forced to eat them raw. I know, I know. I'm weird. I digress... As I was saying, I have never been one to enjoy a bowl of French onion soup as many people do. That all changed last year while I was working at a small cafe in neighboring town. There I learned to make-and enjoy-this delicious soup. Now, I can't imagine not indulging from time to time. This recipe is easy to freeze and reheat, so consider making a double batch and saving some for when you're running low on time.

FRENCH ONION SOUP

  • 10 medium to large yellow onions, sliced thin
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh
  • 3 cans beef broth
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine sliced onions, oil, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper in a large roasting pan. Cover with foil and cook until the onions are steamed through, approximately 30 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven. Cook for an additional 90 minutes, until the onions have turned golden and are caramelized. Stir every 30 minutes to ensure even cooking. When done, place the onions in a large stockpot or sauce pan and save the pan for deglazing. Add broth, water and Worcestershire sauce and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the liquid has been reduced and darkened in color, about 20 minutes. While the soup is simmering, add the wine to the roasting plan and place on low heat to deglaze. Using a fork, scrape up any bits of onion that may have stuck to the pan and cook until syrupy. When ready, pour the wine into the pot with the soup and salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with croutons and a slice of provolone cheese. Allow the cheese to melt before serving.

To freeze: Allow soup to cool completely then place into airtight containers, leaving one inch of space at the top to allow for expansion as the soup freezes. To serve, defrost and heat on your stove top over low heat. Top with croutons and cheese as you normally would.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: