Sunday, June 16, 2013

Bottoms Up! Fireside Nut Brown Ale from Leinenkeugel

Fireside Nut Brown, from the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, is a seasonal lager offered through the months of November to February. It is a Euro Dark Lager that features 4.9% alcohol by volume. It is described as:

"a well balanced roasted malt character that provides a maple aroma with hints of chocolate, caramel and hazelnut top notes that dance around the palate before finishing gracefully". 

Here are my interpretations of this beer:

Appearance-Fireside Nut Brown pours a rich amber hue with a thin head that quickly melts away to a light ring of lacing.

Smell-I did not detect any notes of maple, as the description states. However, I did smell honey and a
slight nuttiness. To say this brew offers notes of chocolate and caramel seems to be a bit of a stretch for me.

Taste-The only way I can think of to describe this beer is non-descript. This does not mean that the beer itself tastes bad, it simply means that no flavor stood out and made its presence known. There is a slight nuttiness to it, and a little smokiness.

Mouthfeel-This beer felt watery and thin and went down quickly. Maybe a little too quickly. The carbonation seemed a little high against the lightweight feel of the beer in my mouth.

Overall Impression-I had been hearing good things about Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown since I began my journey into craft beers ten months ago, so I was excited to finally be sampling this beer. To be honest, I was let down. While it is a good, drinkable beer, it simply did not live up to the hype I had heard. I was expecting a richer, more full bodied beer bursting with flavor. Instead, it felt almost limp and lifeless. It is easy to drink, and while I would not shy from another one, I will not go out of my way to purchase more, either. Try pairing this beer with smoked meats and cheeses, nutty desserts and spicy cuisine.

Fireside Nut Brown is brewed by the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. It is available locally for purchase in 12 ounce bottles at Heather's Coffee and Cafe in Springboro and other fine establishments that sell and serve alcohol. For more information,please visit the Jacob Leinenkugel website and Facebook page.

No comments: