Friday, April 10, 2009

Angel food cake recipe

PhotobucketWhen I was a kid, my mom would ask me every year what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday. Every year I replied "Angel food!". Even now that I am all grown up and have kids of my own, I still prefer this light airy cake to all others.

ANGEL FOOD CAKE
Ingredients
  • 1 cup sifted cake flour 
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar 
  • 1 1/2 cups egg whites 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar 
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup sugar 
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Sift flour and 3/4 cup powdered sugar together three times and set aside. In mixing bowl, beat egg whites and salt on high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and vanilla. Beat mixture until soft peaks form. (Tips should bend over slightly). Slowly add sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg whites, and using flat spatula, quickly but gently fold into egg whites. Repeat using 1/4 of the flour mixture each time. Pour batter into tube pan. Gently cut through batter with knife to remove air pockets. Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean. Invert pan onto a wire rack to cool for 1 hour.

No comments: