Sunday, January 13, 2013

How to make evaporated milk substitutes

English: Evaporated milk
English: Evaporated milk (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Don't you hate it when you're craving something and when you gather all of the ingredients together you find you're missing one key piece to your culinary puzzle? I found myself in this very situation earlier today while craving something sweet. I wanted to make a pie and needed evaporated milk. Lo and behold-no milk was to be found in my cupboards (shame on me!). Doing what any resourceful cook would do, I made my own. If you ever find yourself in the same predicament, take solace in the fact that making your own evaporated milk isn't hard. But in one case, it is a tad bit time consuming.

Option 1
For every cup of evaporated milk your recipe calls for, use this process to cook down your own. In a saucepan, add 2 cups of milk. Over low heat, heat to a simmer but do not boil. Allow to cook down until one cup of liquid remains.This process will also work using soy or rice milk. Be sure not to scorch the milk in your sauce pan or you will have an exceedingly difficult time cleaning it out.

Option 2
For every cup of evaporated milk your recipes calls for, combine a cup and a half of dried milk powder and a cup and a half of water.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: