Saturday, February 23, 2013

Easy drop biscuits recipe


I must admit, I have been a very bad cook. For the last several years I have been snubbing homemade biscuits in lieu of the convenience of refrigerated ones. Shame on me! It has become entirely too easy to buy those tightly wound cardboard rolls of mass produced dough instead of making the real deal. Well, last night I was craving biscuits and gravy. Lo and behold! I was out of Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits. After looking in the cupboard and finding a can of shortening, I proceeded to leaf through my recipe collection until I found one for biscuits. Never again will I use refrigerated dough in place of made from scratch biscuits. What is in the can shouldn't even be allowed to call itself a biscuit. For those of you who may be intimidated by the mere thought of making homemade biscuits-you shouldn't be. These are quite easy to make. Just be sure to use baking powder, not baking soda!
EASY DROP BISCUITS
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat in egg and milk, stir until just combined. Flour your hands well and knead dough by hand 15-20 times. Drop by generous tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
Cook's Notes-if you prefer the tidy look of cut biscuits, turn this dough out onto a well floured surface and roll 3/4 inches thick. Cut with a floured 2 1/2 inch round cutter. Bake the same amount of time.
If you have never cut shortening or butter into flour, here is a great tutorial that I found on YouTube.

No comments: